lessons I learned from an 11 year old

7:07 PM

Two thoughts of the day brought to you by one of the sweetest boys I have the opportunity to nanny each week.


He had been swimming all day and refused to take his swimsuit off when it was time to go to dinner. His reasoning was very simple, "I am who I am and I don't care".
I wish that was the first thought that came into my head when doing things I want to do. I wish it was easier to just accept ourselves for who we are regardless of what anyone thinks. We don't need to change anything about ourselves to fit in or be accepted in the world. You are who you are and that's exactly who you need to be. 

Later I was talking to him about the time I was really sick in Jr. High. He looked at me and said "Bad things always seem to happen to you. You had that kidney infection the other week. You cut your leg really bad in Madagascar. I don't get it. It's not fair."
As I sat there thinking about what he said I realized he wasn't wrong. I'm no exception. Life isn't fair. Not for me. Not for anyone. 
Especially not our savior Jesus Christ. He was completely innocent, yet he had to suffer the most.
As an imperfect person, I am so happy life isn't fair. 
"If life were truly fair, you and I would never be resurrected; you and I would never be able to stand clean before God. In this respect, I am grateful that life is not fair." (Elder Renlund, April 2016)
But the best part is that because of the atonement of Jesus Christ, in the end, there will be no unfairness. Everything that is unfair in life can be made right.
Christ took more than just our sins upon him in the Garden of Gethsemane. He took upon himself ALL our pain and suffering.
Every migraine I've ever had that reached a 10 on the pain scale and left me crying in a hospital, he has felt. Every moment of sadness that made me question my will to live, he has felt. The atonement may not remove trials or take away our infirmities but I believe if we use our gift and rely on our savior Jesus Christ, he can lessen our pain and the unfairness we think we are experiencing. I have felt the relief the atonement can bring. I know of its comfort and peace. Though I may not deserve it, I know that my body will be made perfect. 
I am so grateful that "Through God’s compassion, kindness, and love, we will all receive more than we deserve, more than we can ever earn, and more than we can ever hope for." (Elder Renlund, April 2016)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images